Nottingham Guardian - West Ham's Paqueta cleared of betting charges

NYSE - LSE
CMSD -1.19% 23.62 $
CMSC -0.55% 23.74 $
AZN -0.11% 79.9 $
NGG -0.4% 70.57 $
GSK 0.58% 39.67 $
BCE 0.56% 24.96 $
RBGPF -0.06% 76.95 $
BCC -0.31% 87 $
SCS 0.12% 16.74 $
BTI 1.2% 56.89 $
RIO -0.26% 62.72 $
JRI 1.1% 13.6 $
VOD 0.33% 11.96 $
RELX -0.62% 46.67 $
BP -0.34% 35.23 $
RYCEF 0.82% 14.62 $
West Ham's Paqueta cleared of betting charges
West Ham's Paqueta cleared of betting charges / Photo: Patrick McDermott - GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

West Ham's Paqueta cleared of betting charges

West Ham midfielder Lucas Paqueta has been cleared of spot-fixing charges by an independent regulatory commission, the club announced on Thursday.

Text size:

The Brazilian international was charged with four alleged breaches of FA rules in relation to matches involving the Premier League side.

It was alleged that the 27-year-old directly sought to influence matches by intentionally seeking to receive a card from the referee for the "improper purpose of affecting the betting market".

He denied the charges and the independent regulatory commission found the charges not proven following a hearing.

The Football Association said two charges against Paqueta related to a failure to cooperate with its investigation had been found proven.

It said a commission would decide on an appropriate sanction for those proven breaches "at the earliest opportunity".

The Brazilian said in a statement issued by West Ham that he had always maintained his "innocence against these extremely serious accusations".

West Ham United vice-chair Karren Brady said: "We are pleased Lucas has been cleared. He has maintained his innocence from the outset, and as a club we have resolutely stood by him and supported him throughout the process."

Ch.Hutcheson--NG